Sunday, July 13, 2008

No I don’t know the name of that tree

7.13.08

This is just a quick culture note from my observing the types of questions I am receiving here as an American stranger. Everybody points out trees, and plants and everything and asks me what they are called in English. My consistent response has been I don’t have a clue.

It is a sad fact that I don not know the names of really any plants or trees in nature. Just the same I am from Kansas and we do not have a huge amount of plants and trees growing in our plains but just the same im not sure I could really pick out the trees from my home state that might grow here.

Everybody here knows the names of the trees… they may only know them in Russian for the most part but at least they know them. It is a gap for me and my association with the nature around me. Also, all of the houses are covered with potted plants. It is a big deal. In my room right now where I am sitting I can spot 12 potted plants. I live in a jungle :).

No comments: