Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Emergency injection

So im hanging out at my friends apartment a couple of weeks ago and she comes down with a fever. I brushed it off as if she was just over reacting to feeling bad. But as time went on she really didn’t say to much about it. Her sister came in the room feels her head and says whats wrong. She said she is hot and she has a fever of like 38 degrees celcius or something there abouts. I don’t know what that means because good o’l America uses some crazy non metric system!

Well the cure for her fever is quickly on display. The sister grabs a bottle of vodka out of the cabnit and starts pouring it on her hands then rubbing my friends arms vigorously then proceeds to her legs then followed by her neck. From there she bundles her up with socks and a blanket and wait for her to sweat it out to break the fever…

I had never heard or seen this in my life and I had a hard time keeping the smile on my face or mouth from gaping open in amazement at this technique, but what do I know. Anyway… about an hour or so later she was still feeling crappy. I got her to eat something but she quickly felt tired and sick and laid down the couch to rest. I took her temperature and it said something like 39.4 or something.

Her sister and her friend had left to go the lake or something and she calmly tells me that we need an ambulance. By then I was really concerned, because neither of us knew the number to get this job done. We end up calling her sister figuring it out and about 10 minutes later I hear the sirens.

Now given my experience with seening ambulences in this country.. ( mainly used as a taxi for friends of the driver or lucky hitch hikers) I was a little scared this tinly weird bus thing was going to come here. But sure enough it arrived and in came two people. The first one was a women in a open lab coat with the little heart checker around her neck. The second was a man in sandles and what looked to be a tool box for repairing cars. I think he also doubled as the driver/mechanic.

So after a few questions the man who had been reading a cooking book uninterested in the conversation decides to pop into the conversation by saying, I think we need an injection! INJECTION!? Ya, so she calmly rolled over and he popped this 2 inch long needled out and syringe out of his tool box and jabbed her in the toosh.

From there they said she needs to take some rehydration packets… (and buy them at the pharmacy because they don’t have them) and she should be ok. He asked her if she had been in any moving vehicles the past 2 days. She answered maybe 2 days ago but she can’t remember. He goes that was probably it! The CURRENT! 2 open windows spells disaster for anybody caught in the wind passage, she needs to be more careful he said then walked to the door with the chemist… I mean doctor. Then waited patiently for the sister to pay them a bonus for coming on an insured visit… I don’t know the amount but it made me a little sick. I will never call an ambulance again.

No comments: