Friday, November 9, 2007

green eggs and ham


11-08-2007 21:14

I don’t know how I feel about this blog now. To a point I want to recall what I have done while in the peace corps but now I am in limbo on how to go on writing about my experiences. I mean now I have people reading this thing or so they tell me. Also with these regulations and then the realization that I might be hurting someone’s feelings if I incorrectly talk about them on my blog puts added pressure on me. I Am thinking about just making it private that way I can read about this in years to come and that is the reason I am writing this now… but I hear relatives enjoy reading so I intend to write on my blog and keep it public.

Now that I have gotten that mindless business out of the way lets try to remember this most recent week. This will be short given I don’t remember much right now but maybe as I begin to type my memory will return to me. Thursday is a blur to me I am sure it was filled with the usual language class then technical training no I am sure it consisted of it. Friday was filled with the same excitement except that after I got out of class and meandered back home where I then decided that I would make some American food… or something simple and tasty from our ingredient book given to us with recopies from peace corps. I decided that that I was going to make deviled eggs and chocolate sauce.

I quickly got veronica and tudor on board with this idea and set off for the magazine where we purchased mustard some chocolate bars, and ice cream. This would have gone more smoothly had the girl behind the counter not been so extremely good looking. My 5 year old Romanian quickly turned into 3 year old Romanian but she got the gist of what I wanted and so on tudor and I went back to the house. (I late found out in a dinner conversation with my parents that the young lady had a boyfriend but that her parents are very well off owning a meat processing plant … or so I deduced… which would go along great with my infatuation with meat. It would be a match made in heaven. I explained the problem of her having a boyfriend and they motioned the action of me stealing her and running away to America before her boyfriend knew what hit him. ( This possibility still haunts my thoughts in the upcoming days during the rainy days to come). I am over it… mostly :--)

I made a fool out of myself in more ways then one that night. I messed up the deviled eggs much to veronica’s delight (my sister veronica.. incase I forget in the future who this veronica person is) by putting vinegar in the mix as it called for in the direction.. I spilled a too much in and well they were nto as good as planned. I also managed to screw up the chocolate sauce by putting too much milk I think was my problem. It was not ruined so much as just looked like chuncky chocolate cracker milk. Of course I bought twix bars to use and they did not melt correctly.

Saturday was more successful based on nothing more then I did not screw up cooking anything. I was able to go on a hike around the village up onto the hills and make friends with a horse. That’s a laze the horse tried to kick me so I kept my distance from then on. In the hills I witnessed a pig grave yard and a half way decent sunset. When I came home I was invited to go to a masa at my dads sisters house. It was really a great time. I sat at the big kid table with about 20 adults chatting away for an hour or so trying some high dollar Koniak (I do not know how to spell that word) then off to watch some Karaokie and the hostess being lifted while sitting on a chair into the air and shaking up and down with a wonderful look of complete joy and utter terror combined to make for a fantastic picture I captured. I really took on the role as the crazy relative with the camera trying to document as much as I could by filming it and taking pictures. After that I was able to give the footage to tudor and I plan on putting it onto dvd format so they can all watch this night in the future. They enjoyed watching the footage the next day and liked the idea of saving the footage for themselves.

Sunday was spent in Old Orhei. This is where all of the “tourists” that come to moldova are encouraged to visit. It has some fantastic seceneray and very old monostaires. There was true to my expectations an old monistary and great scenary. Walking into a cave/ church in this mountain was really inspiring as well as creepy. The monk who lived in this place sleeps on the ground in this concrete cave and sells souviners and of course worships in his off time. I am not certain but I think we passed a few british tourists that day and we had a moment of “hey your not a local what are you doing in moldova” look but said nothing. I finished off the day in the city of Orhei with some friends and ate pizza (real pizza with chicken and mushrooms) wonderful!

Monday went by I belive with little consequence as did Tuesday as far as I can recollect. I take that back I had a break down in mood I believe Monday and Tuesday where I was just in a poor mood. I was just feeling sollen for reasons I can’t figure out but everyone has days like that and I just couldn’t shake it. This disturbed my mom who couldn’t fathom me not making jokes constantly and she just would not let me be sad so this funk went on in class and at home all of Monday and Tuesday. I came home from the first half of lecture and nobody was home so I made some lunch and went up stairs to read. My mom came home (by the way its freezing outside and upstairs is not very warm at all but it has my bed and that’s where I enjoy reading undisturbed and freezing). So my mom comes home.. and comes up staris and says come down stairs its warmer stop being sad.. why are you sad…. What do you mean you don’t’ know why… come on down stairs. I ignored her insisting the first time she came up. Then about 5 minutes later she comes up again and says what are you doing you crazy little boy get down here. So I went and took my books. I studied while she watched some soap opera. She leaves for a bit and comes back with tea and cake and biscuits. HOLY COW DID THAT MAKE MY DAY. It made me so happy that I was at that moment no longer sad and have been upbeat ever since.

Yesterday I had more wine then I should have with my bud phil. We made about 15 deviled eggs for a cross culture food making event for that evening and finished early. Phils mom popped out a 3 liter bottle of house wine and we had time to kill. That evening was at our event phil and I participated heartly and greatly impressed out language teachers and families with our lanague skills and willingness to participate in everything they wanted. I truly believe I speak more fluent romainain after a glass or two of wine and from what I have heard from others this is the case for me at least.

Today was just like all the others. There was snow on the ground this morning that turned into water which turned the roads to mud back from school. I did my homework, talked with my family a great deal, showed my grandma my computer and pictures of my family from America and finished off the night writing this blog while watching Gladiator, which today I loaded on my computer from our media guru will. I need an external hard drive now that I have loaded on these movies. My computer is beginning to slow down as its memory is slowly strangled away from it.

Good night. Love, Peace and all that jazz.



No comments: