Sunday, November 11, 2007


11-11-07 8:05










Picture Update:

That is most of my dad’s side of the family minus a couple of brothers and I think just one sister and his parents on the top left. To the top right is just a shot in Chisinau of the city when it was nice out… about 5 weeks ago. Then moving down and to the left we have a world war 2 memorial with the date 1942 on it. My parents there in the middle before leaving for a wedding reception. Two their right is two old babbas horse and buggying it down the main road. All they way bottom left is me with sister and mother plucking some chickens and then there is veronica on the right half a$$ dressed for Halloween but it was enough to win the bag of candy :o).


Friday: I am all that is man Day

Friday as brutal but also one of my most manly days here thus far in Moldova. I push my family all the time to give me work around the house but they normally say no or I normally don’t have time for work with being at school or doing homework or just eating in general. Anyway Thursday night I believe that last time I wrote in this I heard some hard banging sounds outside and went out to investigate. Lo and behold it was my host dad with some co-workers unloading about half of a forest in the “road” in front of our house. I went back inside and the next morning was explained if I wanted to help I could after I get home from school. So I am pumped because I get to move a bunch of huge logs to the side of the house! How much more exciting can it get right?

Well I wait all day at school to finish so I can go do some work and ‘grow some muscles” as my dad says because he always sees me doing pushups and sit-ups at all odd times during the day. On that note my mom will be coming out of the house in the dark and it’l be like 30 degrees outside and ill be doing fast pull-ups on this rail thing and then running in the house so I don’t freeze only to make her think I am completely insane. So because of this preoccupation with “growing muscles” as they say this will be a good opportunity to help the cause. I also mention to some pcv’s that I want to go on a hike that day because it is somewhat nice outside. Lets do both right!?

An who I get home promptly in order to get to moving these logs. My mom comes home laughs at me and tells me im doing it wrong but I don’t’ understand how I am supposed to do this differently and continue. Woof! After about 8 logs I am feeling it in my arms but im setting good pace because I wanted to “finish this job” then go for a walk/impress my dad that I can do manual labor. Well these logs are easily a good 100 pounds in some cases and awkward as all heck. My host brother comes home so I move to organizing the piles into base logs for the lowest level of stacking then medium and so forth as we move them. Lets skip to the end because this story is getting way to much description… phill came over to help and go on a walk and helped an immense amount. I felt good about our progress and we left about a 3rd of the pile in the road that I was going to do the next day. We go on our hike which was about 3 hours. And after working for a solid 3 hours with the logs I am thoroughly exhausted when I finally stumble home. My dad comes home that night and begins moving the rest of the logs tells me I have done enough for the day and the next morning I wake up to all of the logs being moved into the gate (even the 150 pounders). The technique of course was to roll the dang things up the hill not carry them on your shoulder in your best attempt to throw out your back…

So Saturday I am sore tired and pulled a hammy running down the hills on the hike. I limped to school feeling manly learned some more Romanian and retired for the day at home. I came home cleaned my room taking everything I own out shaking out the rugs mopping up the floor dusting and then laying everything back where it needed to be. I also changed my bed that is actually a futon in the sitting position and I have so much more room that I don’t know what to do with the space. I spent most of the day in the kitchen … at least 4 hours eating and then keeping my mom company as she baked placenta. Placenta (I hope im not spelling that word for left over baby producing stuff) maybe its placenta because that is how it sounds and a ce over here is a ch sound… and I helped make that stuff or tried. I was having problems not putting enough flower on the table or the roller and getting the dough stuck to the table or the roller. My brother came in the kitchen and just made fun of me. He had never cooked in his life really and hes sitting there making fun of me. But I sparked some interest in cooking in him and he moved me out of the way to show me how a “profesionist” does it. He was just as awful as me and my mom laughed repaired our damage and finished the job.

By the way placenta is just dough with either brinza (cheese) or varza (cabbage) inside. I finished off the night reading next to tudor who was playing a computer game. Followed by some watching Russian television not understanding jack and conversing with my dad about how Arnold schartzeneger wow I butchered that name came to be the mayor of California (mayor because i can say that in Romanian) and it doesn’t really matter anyway. I also stressed that he is known as the govenator. Because of the movie terminator and governor. I think he understood but could be mistaken. He was also really impressed that Arnold was born in Austria and then moved to America and became the “mayor”. Very impressed with that little fact he was. Now im talking like yoda… too much star wars.

May the force be with you.



2 comments:

Chad said...

Your meta clorian levels are the highest ive ever seen....even higher than master yoda!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey man,

Just wanted to tell you that i have been keeping up with your adventures. Seems you are doing pretty well and you never have stopped being you.. wanting to work out all the time. lol. Oh thanks for the package i got it and a letter from your mom a few weeks ago. Keep up the journals and ill send you and longer email soon.
-lionel