Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sauna time!

4.16.08 20:49
This Picture made me laugh :-)

Its has been two weeks… a little over two weeks since I have last written. I hate it when I don’t write for a long time because I forget what happened. Let me try to recap the week before going to Romania. I did some work in the garden with the host dad. Then on my own I did some work in the garden later on in the week and really made a dent in the dirt. I spent a day working for about 5 hours really just cleaning and prepping the dirt for future planting but it looked pretty and I was praised for my effort.

At work I really didn’t do anything. As of this current week I am tired of it and am taking a stand but well get back to that later. Also that week I prepared for my upcoming volunteer meeting that ended up being a flop for the most part. But at the same time it sparked me into taking more action and doing less lecturing because the kids are just not up for it and I am fine with that. I guess well take action now and for the future after we have done something they don’t’ think we can do they will understand they have the power to change if they just do some work themselves instead of just complaining about “that’s just the way it is”

To recap my meeting with them 2 weeks ago or so I did have my whole marketing group show up for their meeting but they had accomplished nothing and just fed me negativity constantly on any ideas I came up with. This is a pattern, they just need more confidence in their abilities and that’s all I can give them. I took it hard though I tried not to let it show, it really brought me down. I had met with the bench design group earlier that week and we had taken measurements of the benches and I gave them the assignment to come up with some costs for materials and where we can get the materials for our next meeting. I had one girl show up and she hadn’t done anything but at least she showed up. I told her well thanks for showing up get your team together try to get some info and ill see you in two weeks.

I left that meeting pretty angry at myself. When you are here for so long and nothing has really been accomplished you get that whole idea in your head that you’re a failure… but that is all on how you judge success. Earlier that day at work I had a meeting with my marketing guy to go to the market and get the prices for the produce ( I had set up this date earlier in the week and he agreed) he didn’t come to work that day. So I was kinda bummed about that too.

So going home that night I was depressed. I sat down and began writing a pathetic journal entry about how pathetic my life is and bummed I am at what I have not accomplished. It was pretty sad really. Then my host dad called me in and was like its dinner time get in here and eat. He had the wine out and told me his uncle had died today. I felt sorry for him and we drank wine and he talked about his uncle and we ate pasta with cheese on it with our wine and I felt like an idiot for feeling so crappy when I have my health and so does my family. How happy I should be to be so lucky for that.

So I went to bed promptly after a few glasses of wine because I am a light weight with wine and it is normal for 2 glasses to make me ready to go to bed. So I fell asleep watching Rome.

Also that day I had one of my partners invite me to go to the sauna. I declined because, hell im not really a fan of saunas. But after about 10 mins of thinkin about it I decided to go for it because I always have this thing telling me not to decline invitations and live for the adventure. He said hed call me the next day.

So Saturday rolled around he called me and picked me up. He drove me to his house. That’s right he has a sauna at his house. He built the thing himself. (a lot of people here have them near their houses. They are constructed in a cement enclosures. This one was about 6x6x7 ft (very intimate) and it works by pouring water onto some really hot coals or something. The fire is made with wood which then heats up these coals or something then poor water and it gets really steamy and unbearably hot. I was told they can get to be 100 Celsius so that’s near 200 degrees and it’s a dry heat! I couldn’t even breathe at some points. Oh ya did I mention I was getting in here with my partner from work who is a 50 year old male and that we got butt ass naked without towels or anything and drank beer out of shot glasses and whipped each other with this leaf stick contraption to make it even hotter ourselves? No? I didn’t well there you go I just told you. It was really awkward at first but I got over it and had a good time and a funny story to tell to others.

Sunday went to chisianu to play baseball and leave on my trip to Romania. Baseball went well. We only lost by 2 to the team that we lost to by about 20 our first game. I threw a few people out as catcher and felt good about my performance and my bud phil hit a home run! It was insane! That night we slept in a Buddhist apartment floor because it only cost $4 to do so :-) then woke up to wait around to leave for our buss at 8 that night to go to Romania. Here I will conclude this chapter and later I will write about my trip because I am getting tired of writing and when im not in the mood to write I will leave things out and not have a good time. So until then. PEACE.

No comments: